Monday, February 27, 2012

Midterm Week

This weekend I went on a field trip for my food class to a farm called Spannocchia in Chiusdino, Siena. To say the least it was different as well as gorgeous. The weather we had was beautiful (in the high 60s) Our guide Kate seemed to have an abundance of love for pigs. She was very into her job and talked to us for hours about Dino the boar that would produce all the meat for them to make. Their pigs were called Cinta Senese which she explained to be rare and difficult to be classified. It was an all organic farm and they have 6 different meats they produced which we would get to try. The sun was blazing and my roommate Taylor wasn't feeling great. Mid speech she fainted in my arms. It was the most bizarre thing to happen since I've been here. She didn't even remember it happening. We missed some of the tour but I wanted to make sure she was okay. 

We than ate the 6 different meats. They were called:
1. Lardo which was translated as literal back fat of a pig
2. Rigatino which looked like uncooked bacon... 
3. Prosciutto which is from the back legs of a pig and is served only on panini's (most popular)
4. Salami (my favorite) which is from the boars head
5. Capocollo which is from the neck 
6. Sopressata which was uncooked salami (everyone loved and why Kate said she took the job at Spannocchia

It was quite a taste experience. I couldn't seem to put the texture past my mind and eat the uncooked white meats. It felt wrong. 
Dino the Boar

You know just some pig legs chillin'

The six meats we tasted starting at 12 o'clock is the 1st meat (lardo) and the order goes clock wise.

Me Taylor and Lexa 


Meanwhile my knee was throbbing in pain from my tumble the night before at soccer. We play on a cement turf that isn't the best cushion to fall on. Walking around all day probably did not help. Later on that night when we went out I was in so much pain I had to walk home from the bar. 

The next day Christy and I had our friend Lauren come to visit. She plays club soccer with us and she is currently studying with UCONN's Granada, Spain program. She brought along a friend named Hannah who seemed very nice. It wasn't the best weekend to visit because one of our other roommates had two friends here too so some people were stuck with the couch or chairs for bedtime. We all also have midterms this week so everyone was stressing about studying but we also wanted to show our visitors a good time. However, in the end we took them to some major sites and they didn't mind roaming on their own for a bit. I cooked dinner for everyone two nights in a row.
Night 1: sausage and peppers with sauce, eggplant parm, pasta, garlic bread
Night 2: lemon chicken, salad, potatoes and broccoli
homemade sangria

my lovely meal


Becoming quite the chef.

Club soccer girliess :)

Visitors plus Christi and Krista getting some late night gelato.

Today I had no exams so I got up went for a run, got my pictures printed for my mid-term in photo class (such a pain), took Lauren to a bagel place (she was craving) and then went to the central market to get some peanut butter and peaches (yummmm).

Now it's off to studying since I've procrastinated long enough because this weather is just too nice to be stuck inside... Next post to be added after this stressful week is over. 
This is how I will be seeing the beautiful sunshine until Thursday.. from my bedroom :(

No comments:

Post a Comment